Focus on the Accessible Information Standard for GP practices in England
Tell us about your communication needs
The Accessible Information Standard1 aims to ensure that patients who have a disability, impairment or sensory loss have access to information they can understand and the communication support they may need. The Standard applies to service providers across the NHS and adult social care system. As organisations that provide NHS services, GP practices are required by law to follow the Standard under Section 250 of the Health and Social Care Act2.
There are five key requirements of the Standard and as a Practice we will;
- We will ask patients and carers if they have any information or communication needs, and find out how to meet their needs;
- Record those needs in a set way;
- Highlight the patient’s file, so it is clear that they have information or communication needs, and clearly explain how those needs should be met;
- Share information about a person’s needs with other NHS and adult social care providers, when they have consent or permission to do so;
- Make sure that people get information in an accessible way and communication support if they need it wherever we possibly can do.
Liam Goldthorpe, Receptionist is your ‘Patient Champion’ here at the Practice for patients and their carers who have a disability or impairment and he will be happy to help you and record your needs in your medical records. Justin Wood – Reception Supervisor is your ‘Patient Champion’ for Carers and Justin can also assist patients.
If you have any suggestions to help us we would be very happy to hear from you and happy for any patients to work with us to develop and test our information delivery and effectiveness; this would be very much appreciated.
Information leaflets for patients including easy read can be downloaded here:
You can download this form which details your communication requirements, complete and hand to any of our Reception Team or collect a form when you are next in the Practice ask any of Receptionists.
PATIENT COMMUNICATION NEEDS FORM nrs
Accessible information link to UK sign language
Accessible information audio link
Mahmood Yaqoob – Practice Development Manager.
Free Wi-Fi is now available for patients visiting the Practice for iPhone, Android and Windows Laptops.
Just follow the instructions on the Wi-Fi Posters displayed in the Practice
From your device connect to the Wi-Fi named ‘NHS Wi-Fi’.
(Note: Please note it is not the responsibility of the practice or IT provider to configure or fix any issues with your device in order to connect to the NHS Wi-Fi)